This is who I am.
About page for contemporary conceptual life artist Norbert Rodriguez. I make art. I live art. My life + everything that happens in + around it is art. I also make traditional things that people consider art like drawings + paintings + sculptures + photos + videos + installations + performances + sandwiches. Thank you for visiting.
This says a lot about me.
A Statement OF INTENT
I’ve always had trouble trying to explain what I do because everyday, I discover some new idea that seems to open up other ways of seeing what I do which makes it harder to explain. I guess that’s life, or it’s art. Im trying to explain.
I lost my virginity when I was 18 to a total stranger, that I had married, as an art piece, for a whole year. I’ve been buried in the ground standing straight up like a tree, with just my head sticking out all day for galleries + museums. At the Whitney Museum in NY, I made a seamless white cube designed on the inside to mimic a therapist’s office, where visitors could sign up to speak with me. I've hired private eyes to follow me + members of my family around. I've given free foot massages in London + I've performed with my mother and father making food + building walls, all over the world. And a thousand other things, all in the name of art.
Currently, I’m opening my entire life to the public for the second time, as a living museum called the Museum of Meaning. I'm developing an academy called A School of Thought, a company called IP Division + working towards expanding my practice beyond traditional fine art to include stand up + illusionism. I'm also the subject of a feature length documentary which is supposed to be coming out next year called Making Sh*t Up.
Lately I’ve been thinking that maybe my work is kind of like data collection. Sometimes I make things with that data (like traditional art “things”) but, most of the time I just share the raw data as documentation. It seems like what I’ve been doing through my work is take bits of life + frame them as art in order to think about them differently. Like using a microscope to look deeper into something but, I’m the microscope + life is the subject.
It’s also like I’m using my life to make history’s largest self-portrait. Which I’m making from everything in + around me, improvising as I go along + sharing it however I can. It’s also entirely for sale. Maybe there’s a chance I’m learning something about life that might benefit us all to know. I’m 99% sure there is but I’d love to know for sure before I’m dead. Unless the matrix happens + the robots let me chill with them forever.
You can follow my story on digital media @norbertoinc.
AN OUTLINE OF EVENTS
I was born as Norberto Rodriguez on May 31, 1975.
A few years later, I became Bert Rodriguez.
At an early age, Bert discovers he has a natural talent for music + art.
From late high school on, Bert pursues a successful career as a fine artist.
At the height of his career, Bert almost dies in a terrible hit + run accident.
Bert's career takes a back seat while healing from his injuries.
In 2011, Bert moves to Los Angeles, CA. to pick up where his career left off.
After several years of deliberation + internal reflection, Bert commits suicide.
I woke up on my 41st birthday in a museum to Bert's life.
I considered leaving the world behind on a “Search for truth”.
After several years of deliberation + internal reflection, I decided against it.
Now every moment I’m alive is art.
A SELECTION OF ACCOMPLISHMENTS
• Museum of Meaning | Los Angeles, CA (upcoming)
• A School of Thought | Los Angeles, CA (upcoming)
• IP Division | Los Angeles, CA (upcoming)
• (Not yet titled) | ProjectArt | Los Angeles, CA
• Breakfast Club | Google | San Francisco., CA
• A Quiet Morning. | MoCA. | Los Angeles, CA
• Museum of Artist Cars | Venice Art walk | Los Angeles, CA
• I think we should talk… | Inner City Arts | Los Angeles, CA
• The man behind the curtain. | LAND | Hollywood Improv | Los Angeles, CA
• Quiet Mornings | MoCA Geffen | Los Angeles, CA
• The bed you made. | Bed & Breakfast | Los Angeles, CA
• I Come From Where the Palm Trees Grow | LATlab | Los Angeles, CA
• NWSA Alumni Series: Sculpture | New World Gallery | Miami, FL
• …While I’m Standing Still | Bedaga | Pancake Epidemic | Los Angeles, CA
• Art, Amirite? | Maitland Foley | Los Angeles, CA
• The life + death of Bert Rodriguez. | Los Angeles, CA
SEPT 5, 1980 - MAY 30, 2016
SELECTED PROJECTS | PERFORMANCES | COMMISSIONS
• Dialogs in Cuban Art: Part III | Perez Art Museum | Miami, FL
• BRM Presents: Performance + Workshop | FORM | Arcosanti, AZ
• BRM Gift Shop | Rob Pruit’s Flea Market | Los Angeles, CA
• You Don’t Know What You Got (Till it’s Gone) | eBay.com
• Dialogs in Cuban Art: Part II | Casa De Las Americas | Havana, Cuba.
• Dialogs in Cuban Art: Part I | Ludwig Foundation | Havana, Cuba.
• The Bert Rodriguez Museum | Los Angeles, CA (ongoing)
• A Drop In The Bucket | Soho Beach House | Miami Beach, FL
• Without You I’m Nothing | Golden Road Brewery | Los Angeles, CA
• Never Forget Where | Fashion Outlets of Chicago | Chicago, IL
• I Will Always Let You (W)in | Two Bunch Palms | Desert Hot Springs, CA
• There’s Nothing I’d Rather Do | The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas | Las Vegas, NV
• Live Beyond Labels | Becks
• I Can Only See Myself In You | Celebrity Reflection | Miami, FL
• A Word Of Advice (Dallas) | Pump House | Dallas, TX
• Mastering The Basics | LUX / EROS | Venice, CA
• Reflection | Celebrity Reflection | Pacific and Atlantic Ocean
• Where My Eyes Meet You (Standard Hollywood) | Standard Hotel | Los Angeles, CA
• Live Beyond Labels | Beck’s Beer | The Beer Store
• A Meal I Make With My Mother (Los Angeles) | OHWOW LA | Los Angeles, CA
• The Nature of Things | Milsaps College | Jackson, MS
• Krystallos | Saks Fifth Ave | Miami, FL
• The Art Issue | Art Basel Miami Beach | Miami Beach, FL
• A Reconciliation (Emerald City) | Miami Art Museum | Miami, FL
• Visiting artist | University of Washington | Seattle, WA
• Seed | BAR | Miami, FL
• In Your Own Image (Naples) | Naples, IT
• A Meal I Make With My Mother | Western Bridge | Seattle, WA
• In Your Own Image (Berlin) | Berlin, DE
• Where You End And I Begin | Frieze Projects | London, UK
• In Your Own Image (Paris) | Paris, FR
• Close Out Sale | Art LA | Los Angeles, CA
• A Bedtime Story (The Tortoise And The Hare) | Sleepless Nights | Miami Beach, FL
• Art Positions | Art Basel Miami Beach | Miami Beach, FL
• A Bedtime Story (The Five Chinese Brothers) | Miami, FL
• You’re Only Mad At Yourself | The Miami Herald | Miami, FL
• One Man VIP | i/o Lounge | Miami, FL
• Bert Rodriguez Museum Presents: Selected Works: (2007-2014) | San Francisco, CA
• Has Art?: Exhibition 3 of 12 | Lawrimore Projects | Seattle, WA
• A Man Called Bert | Annarumma 404 | Naples, Italy
• I’ll Cross That Bridge When I Get To It | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami, FL
• IN YOUR OWN IMAGE: The Best of Bert Rodriguez Greatest Hits Vol. I | Bass Museum | Miami Beach, Fl
• For Sale | Snitzer/Arregui Projects | Hamptons, NY
• Espace Experimental | Le Plateau, FRAC Ile de France | Paris, FR
• Advertising Works! | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• Intervenciones 2007 | MARTE | Museum of Art El Salvador
• Breaking Down (in seven parts) | SONOM | Monterey, MX
• Almost There: Portrait of a (Lazy) Genius | Artek Contemporaries | NYC
• The Gifts I Could Never Give You | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• ( ) | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• Recent Videos | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• Bert Rodriguez: A Pre-Career Retrospective | Centre Gallery | Miami
• The Go Between – Museo Di Capodimonte | Napoli, IT
• The Fun Begins When The Lights Go Off! | LUX / EROS | Los Angeles, CA
• American Exuberance | Rubell Family Collection | Miami, FL
• It Ain’t Fair | OHWOW | Miami Beach, FL
• This and That | Frost Museum, Miami, FL
• Things Beyond Our Control | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami, FL
• Emotional Blackmail | SAAG | Alberta, Canada
• Summer Time Blues | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami, FL
• Merzbau Now | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami, FL
• Home: Dream Home | Praxis | Miami, FL
• South Florida Cultural Consortium Exhibition | Frost Art Museum | Miami, FL
• Dadarhea | Canada Gallery | New York, NY
• A Longer Shinbone | Girl’s Club | Miami, FL
• Dadarhea | OHWOW MIAMI | Miami, Fl
• New Work Miami 2010 | Miami Art Museum | Miami, FL
• Beg Borrow and Steal | Rubell Family Collection | Miami, FL
• Miami Media Mesh | American Airlines Arena | Miami, FL
• 114 Steps | SASSA TRÜLZSCH | Berlin, DE
• Parenthesis | Western Bridge | Seattle, WA
• CFC Charity Art Exhibition | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami, FL
• Spite House | Lawrimore Projects | Seattle, WA
• Convention | MOCA, North Miami | North Miami, Fl
• SMALL | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami, FL
• The Endless Renaissance | Bass Museum of Art | Miami Beach, FL
• Confections | O.H.W.O.W. | Miami, FL
• Frieze Projects | Frieze Art Fair | London, UK
• Disappearances, Shadows & Illusions | Miami Art Museum | Miami, Fl
• Whitney Biennial | Whitney Museum of American Art | New York, NY
• Sleepless Nights | Public Project | Miami Beach, Fl
• Site Specific Installation | SONOM | Monterey, Mexico
• 60 Second Video Art Festival | Touring Exhibition | USA + EU
• Pressing Pause | Zeitgeist Gallery | Nashville, TN
• Left Behind, Hesperides, and ... | Sandroni Rey | Los Angeles, CA
• Native Seeds | ArtCenter South Florida| Miami
• Something | Locust Projects | Miami
• Boomerang | Miami Light Box | Miami
• MOCA and Miami | MOCA North Miami | Miami
• Brought Together Again | New World Gallery | Miami
• Co Operate | Buena Vista Building | Miami
• At This Time | Rubell Family Collection | Miami
• 05-05-05 | site-specific installation | Club i/o | Miami
• A Little Romance: Selections From The Permanent Collection | MOCA Miami
• Faith | Champion Fine Art | Los Angeles, CA
• Domestic Arrivals | White Box | NY
• Becoming Father, Becoming Infant | Bronx Museum | NY
• Definitive Juxt | Odegard Building | Miami
• Lock Stock And Barrel | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• 52 | The Art Nucleus | Portland OR
• Florida Focus: Miami Hot | Gulf Coast Museum Of Art | Largo FL
• …Butt Seriously | The Moore Building | Miami
• Made In Miami | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• Motel | site-specific installation | San Juan Motel | Miami
• That Place | MIA Gallery | Miami International Airport
• That Place | The Moore Building | Miami
• Miami in Manhattan | Wooster Projects | NY
• globe>miami• Eight Solo Shows | Carlos Betancourt Studio | Miami
• Humid | The Moore Building | Miami
• Skins | Dorsch Gallery | Miami
• Video Spill | Stetson University | DeLand FL
• Robots | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• Publikulture | Museum of Art | Ft Lauderdale FL
• Making Art in Miami: Travels in Hyperreality | MoCA | North Miami FL
• Young Miami | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• Apples from the Tree | H. Lewis Gallery | Baltimore MD
• Departing Perspectives | site-specific installation | Espirito Santo Bldg. | Miami
• Camouflage | L.C. Bates Museum | Skowhegan | Maine
• Selections from the Rubell Collection | Contemporary Art Museum | Tampa | Fl
• The Fashion Issue | Fredric Snitzer Gallery | Miami
• Hortt 40 | Museum of Art | Fort Lauderdale FL
• B.F.A. | Galerie Douyon | Coral Gables FL
• Invasion of Privacy | Art 1035 | Miami
• Here & Now | Art 1035 | Miami
• Contemporary Art Museum | Tampa | Fl
• Kemper Museum of Art | Kansas City, MO
• Miami Art Museum | Miami, FL
• Institute of Contemporary Art | Miami, FL
• Rubell Family Collection | Miami, FL
• Walker Art Center | Minneapolis, MN
HONORS | AWARDS
• South Florida Cultural Consortium Fellowship for Visual and Media Artists
• Miami-Dade College Hall of Fame inductee
• Frieze Foundation Commission | Frieze Foundation
• Miami-Dade County Site-Specific Arts Commission
• Best Local Artist | Miami New Times
• Legal Art | Inaugural Artist Grant Award
• Best Emerging Artist | Miami New Times
• South Florida Cultural Visual Arts Fellowship Award
• Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture Scholarship Award
• Honorable Mention | mixed media | Hortt 40
• Frances Wolfson Endowed Visual Arts Scholarship
• University of Florida | New World School of the Arts Full Tuition Scholarship
EDUCATION | RESIDENCIES
• University of Washington Visiting Artist and Lecture Program | Seattle, WA
• Skowhegan School of Painting and Sculpture | Portland, ME
• Bachelor of Fine Arts | New World School of the Arts | University of Florida